The Rocca Flea has housed the Civic Museum since 1999. Its name derives from the nearby River Flebeo, later called Feo, and already appears in documents dating from the 12th century. In line with the successive dominations imposed on the town, it was first occupied by the army of Frederick Barbarossa, then by the Papal militia and, in 1208, by the Guelf forces from Perugia. Badly damaged by the various conflicts, it was restored in about 1242 by Frederick II. In 1350, when Gualdo was once more under the domination of Perugia, construction began on the keep which, like the town standard, bears the emblem of Perugia, the Griffin. In the sixteenth century, it became the residence of the Papal Legates and, consequently, the interior was modified and decorated with frescoes. More radical alterations took place after 1888 when the Rocca was used as a prison.
Thanks to recent restoration work, it has been restored to its previous state and now serves as a museum. On the ground floor and in two rooms on the first floor of the Palazzina Del Monte, archaeological finds are on display which tell the story of Gualdo Tadino’s population from Pre-historic Times to the Middle Ages; the entrance hallway and the room on the first floor contain the Ceramics Section with works from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, while the Art Gallery occupies the upper rooms. The collection was formed after the confiscation of church property by the State and was, at first, housed in a room in the Town Hall and then, in 1919, transferred to the small medieval building in Via Calai. In 1966, it was relocated by the then Curator, Francesco Santi, to the Church of San Francesco, in the heart of the town, but then closed to the public in 1979 because of subsequent structural problems. It largely consists of works removed from churches in the district which are fully representative of the figurative culture typical of the border lands between Umbria and the Marches. Particularly noteworthy are the paintings by the leading artist of the local school, Matteo da Gualdo, and the large altarpiece by Nicolò di Liberatore, called L’Alunno.